Follow the smell of taquitos muy auténticos at this LA institution on historic Olvera Street. The tiny stand has been serving freshly stuffed, rolled and fried taquitos since 1934, enough to earn its street cred title of “world famous.” The thing to order is obviously taquitos, though there are also burritos and chile relleno, which come smothered in guacamole sauce and optional beans and cheese.
The family-owned corner food stand was renamed Cielito Lindo after it was acquired in the 1930’s. It was not much more than a few wooden tables and benches, a charcoal burning bracero and a wooden shack to store a few supplies.
There was no running water so the water was drawn from the gas station directly behind the stand. The food was cooked at home and bundled in cloth (manteles) to be carried to Olvera Street by trolley.